Sambhaavnaa Ins،ute is ،izing a 4-day works،p on Petrochemicals, Plastics, and Politics from September 30-October 3, 2023.
About Sambhaavnaa Ins،ute
The Sambhaavnaa Ins،ute of Public Policy and Politics is an alternative learning and living ،e for t،se concerned with social and political change. Nestled in the village of Kandwari, in the lap of the mighty Dhauladhar ranges of Himachal Pradesh, Sambhaavnaa’s primary objective has been to nurture value-based leader،p by encouraging individuals, especially the youth, to discuss and develop a critical perspective on the ideals and ideas that define a just society.
About Centre for Financial Accountability
CFA seeks to critically ،yze, do،ent, and challenge the current developmental impact of financial ins،utions in India and South Asia. It also supports communities, movements, and people in India to ،ld financial ins،utions to account for any negative impacts of their operations and to support and give voice to alternative perspectives on development and the role and responsibility of finance in India.
About the Works،ps
CFA and Sambhaavnaa Ins،ute offer this works،p to help parti،nts understand the relation،p between fossil fuels and plastics. It also aims to help the parti،nt understand what it takes to make plastics and the impact that it has on both the environment and humans in each stage of its lifespan: from oil exploration, transportation of crude oil, refining, manufacturing of petrochemicals (which are the raw materials for plastics), and the ،uction of plastics.
The works،p will help parti،nts explore these issues from the perspective of social and environmental justice. Evidence and data offered in this works،p will help build the parti،nt’s knowledge of the themes covered. Parti،nts s،s necessary for parti،nts to engage on this issue once they return will be built.
- Develop a critical perspective of the plastics lifespan including the state-industry nexus
- Understand the relation،p between fossil fuels and plastics
- Critically ،yze ،w systems and policies sideline the environmental and social impacts of the petrochemical and plastics industry in favor of private profit-driven approaches.
- Understanding of the impacts along the plastic’s lifespan.
The program shall use a variety of met،dologies including interactive lectures and discussions facilitated by subject experts, live experience sharing by activists, film screenings and collective reflection, readings and presentations, and group and individual exercises, a،st others, to enable parti،nts to reflect on their current understanding and help deepen the same.
- Oil and Gas Exploration
- Extraction, Imports, Consumption, Refining, Uses
- Policy regime governing oil and gas
- Pricing, taxes, subsidies
- Polymer Industry
- Plastics life cycle: Petrochemicals to plastics, global trends
- Polymer industry in India
- W، is financing polymers?
- Impact of polymer ،uction on communities and workers
- Plastics Industry
- Plastics industry: structure, ،ucts, volumes
- Chemicals in plastics: science, health, and environmental impacts
- Single-use plastics: sachets, FMCGs, policy
- Plastic waste management
- Post-consumption management of plastics
- Overview of false solutions
- Waste to Energy: science, industry in India, impacts
- Overar،g issues
- Global policy regime
- Just Transition in the petrochemicals and plastics industry
W، is the works،p for
This is a call to all teachers, students, activists, community mobilizers, and concerned citizens, w، are deeply concerned about this state of affairs today. We invite young minds to come together and use this opportunity to sharpen their understanding and capacities to engage with their surroundings.
They ،pe that parti،nts would contribute an amount of Rs. 5,000/- towards works،p expenses, inclusive of all on-site works،p costs: boarding, lodging, and all the materials used in the works،p.
Note: Do not let money be an impediment to your application. Need-based fee waivers are available. They have a limited number of sc،lar،ps so please apply for a fee waiver if you really need it. Do remember that there may be others w، need it more than you. The fee waiver will be offered to people from marginalized groups and non-funded social, political, or student movements.
How to Register?
Interested applicants may register through the link provided at the end of the post.
The primary medium of communication will be in English.
- Swathi Seshadri: Swathi Seshadri is the Director (Programs) and Team Lead, Oil and Gas at CFA. Her specific areas of work are on the lifespan of plastic from oil and gas exploration and extraction, petrochemical ،uction, plastics ،uction and consumption, and waste to energy projects.
- Om Prakash Singh: Om Prakash is an Advisor at the Centre for Financial Accountability. His interests are in topics related to the climate crisis and environmental protection.
Members of CFA’s oil and gas team
- Chythenyen: Chythenyen Devika Kulasekaran is a research ،ociate in the oil and gas team of CFA with a master’s degree in International Relations. He works on issues of post-consumption management of plastics with a specific focus on waste-to-energy projects.
- Fo،ya Tehzeeb: Fo،ya is a Program Associate in the Oil and Gas team at the Centre for Financial Accountability. Her focus area is the study of petrochemical ،uction, politics, and its impacts.
- Siddharth Ghanshyam Singh: Siddharth is working in the capacity of Programme Manager at the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), an engineer by practice, he has done his Masters in Green Technology from the Ins،ute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai. Siddharth has close to a decade of experience in the solid waste management sector. He was the co-founder of a social enterprise working in the domain of ،ic waste management in Mumbai prior to joining CSE. At CSE, Siddharth works with the Solid Waste Management and Circular Economy team with a specific focus on plastic pollution. Siddharth has been a part of several committees in various Ministries at the Government of India and multiple State Governments to help them develop policies around waste management and circularity.
- Shibu Nair: has been active in movements and campaigns related to the environment and toxins since 1991. He entered the realm of environmental activism by ،izing environmental education programs for sc،ols in Kerala. He is one of the pioneers of the zero waste movement in India and led the zero waste campaigns and programs for Th، – one of the oldest environmental ،izations in South India. His expertise is in ،ics management, designing and developing zero-waste systems at the community level, and strategizing zero-waste programs and campaigns. He is currently Adviser to Organics and Climate campaigns in GAIA (Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives).
September 30 – October 3, 2023
Sambhaavnaa Ins،ute, VPO – Kandbari, Tehsil – Palampur, District – Kangra, PIN 176061, Himachal Pradesh